Saturday, August 1, 2009

Friday Nite Pizza Party



Last night two dear friends came over for a pizza party -- I made the dough beforehand and had everything prepped and ready to go. I make pizzas all the time (thanks, Pizza a Casa!) but last night was a bit different... I turned off the oven so we could step out to run an errand, and forgot to turn the oven back on. Ack.

Every good pizza chef knows a hot oven is critical to good pizza. So, in goes the first pie (marguerita) and 10 minutes later, it's GOOEY. I'm trying to work it out with my pizza peel, but it's just mushing together on the pizza stone, as the oven was probably about 250 degrees at this point. Finally I realized the oven was off, I turned it on, rescued half the pizza (the other half fell off the stone and into the oven) and once the pizza was out, I had to turn OFF the oven, take out the stone and clean it, and then clean the oven! SIGH. Then I had to re-heat the oven to 550 degrees, which took a while.

Finally, pie two (potato rosemary) was put in, and it was delicious, as was the next pie, a sun dried tomato / smoked mozzarella spritzed with balsamic vinegar, and last but not least, our desert pie -- pear & blue cheese with white truffle oil and honey.

Sadly, I did not make it late into the evening -- too many cocktails and wine found me passed out in bed woefully early, but my friends and my hubby partied late into the night. I got t0 experience what they were up to when I woke up -- the liquor cabinet was empty, my frozen blackberries had been muddled in a cocktail shaker (which was oddly put in the ice container in the freezer) and, most disturbingly -- there was cat vomit everywhere. Weird.

But, weirdly fun. And the pizzas were de-lish, especially after the first pie mishap....Yum, yum, yum....

No comments:

Post a Comment