Thursday, July 30, 2009

Amazing Nola / Modified

I make granola once a week -- I love the stuff. My mom used to make it all through my childhood, and I get so much pleasure from my daily bowl of granola and soy milk.

My friend Amy sent me a new granola recipe, and it takes a lot (a personal email from the talented Amy usually does it) to get me to try a new nola. I modified this recipe (from the New York Times) to be uber-healthy for folks with Blood Type A (I moderately follow the Blood Type Diet, when I can...) It turned out...AMAZING! The smell of cardamom was surreal while it baked. I've eaten it for two days -- my husband loves it, I sent my film partner home with a bag of it, and I now realize: I have a new weekly nola recipe! Try it -- you will NOT be disappointed.

I starred the ingredients I either changed or lowered the quantity of....

Olive Oil Granola With Dried Apricots and Walnuts

By MELISSA CLARK (Modified by Kit Cat)

Published: July 10, 2009


3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats


1 1/2 cups raw walnuts, chopped*


1 cup raw pumpkin seeds, hulled


1 cup coconut chips


1/2 cup pure maple syrup*


Just over 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil*


1/4 cup agave nectar*


1 teaspoon kosher salt


1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon


1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom


3/4 cup chopped dried apricots


Fresh ricotta, for serving (optional)


Fresh berries, for serving (optional).



1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a large bowl, combine oats, pistachios, pumpkin seeds, coconut chips, maple syrup, olive oil, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and cardamom. Spread mixture on a rimmed baking sheet in an even layer and bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until golden brown and well toasted.


2. Transfer granola to a large bowl and add apricots, tossing to combine. Serve with ricotta and fruit, if desired.


Yield: About 9 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment