Saturday, September 4, 2010

Is it a Treasure?

As we're packing up 7 years of cohabitation together, I've had to figure out the bar for packing or tossing (or donating, etc.) --ultimately, I think it comes down to this simply: "Is it a treasure?" And then I think of my friend Erin, who is the most stylish and functional interior and garden designer I know. She inherited a home filled with treasures of every kind, 5 dining room sets, 7 pianos, 14 globes, and dozens of fishing trophies. What's a girl to do? Erin got down to business and held an auction -- and how she selected what to keep and what to go, and I'm pretty sure she was saying, "Is it a treasure?" as she sorted out decades of her grandmother's utterly southern collections.

I've been channeling Erin a lot in this move. I've realized hubby is an amazing packer, but he leaves messes where ever he goes. A little tidying up on my part makes a MUCH more livable home (less face it, we're here for 4 more days and need to get to the loo). My other packing trick is staying happy. This means good home cooked meals or kickass delivery from places that don't exist south of the mason dixon border: vegetarian dim sum anyone? How about a quick cab to korean? or stay near houston street for mexican? large groups? perfect private party? best "local" local LES restaurant? As you can see, making sure we have ample supplies, including food and plenty of ice cold water helps it be a little more bearable. Add to that a dash of trying to take smaller loads and silly computer breaks and heck, I think I'm even having a little fun!

So, packing checklist, ahem!
  1. IS IT A TREASURE?
  2. keep it tidy while you pack
  3. divide and conquer
  4. don't forget to take care of yourself in the process -- basic necessities like food, water, alcohol, sleep, fun, exercise, etc. should NOT get tossed out the window for the 1-2 weeks it will take you to pack up yr place, move it, and unpack it. keep up with caring for your self, or you will get sick (speaking of, wear some masks when things get really dusty! truly, your house is not as clean as you hope it is!!)
I think that's it for now. It's back to the process.
It's all about the journey, right?

2 comments:

  1. I am going to keep these ideas in mind as we pack up next summer...I always love your thoughts and suggstions! Love,CDS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog Catie- your mom sent it to me. it took me reaching my fifties before I got really militant about trying to get all the rifraff out. Thus my mother's adage "when in doubt, throw it out" got really real for me. And I have so far not been sorry about throwing out or giving away anything yet. Yet so much more to get rid of. Put on your ruthless hat and forge on! We'll be waiting to greet you in AVL- be ready to get on that bike and ride all over town to breweries in the newly appointed beer capital of the U.S.! Stephy Citron

    ReplyDelete