Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Adzuki Bean Veggie Burgers



I've never made veggie burgers from scratch, but I will from now on! This recipe was given to me by my friend Ana, and I doubled it so that I would have plenty of patties to freeze individually for easy future meals. This is a great veggie burger for Blood Type A and Blood Type O, fyi. It was moist, filling, and truly uber-healthy.

I served the burgers with purple cabbage slaw which I made with Miso-Ginger Dressing (from the NYT's 101 Simple Salads, the best food article of the summer....)

Adzuki Burgers (serves 4)

Adzuki bean is great for kidneys because while high in protein and fiber for the body it will also reduce water retention.

2 cups cooked adzuki beans

½ cup brown rice flour or cooked brown rice works as well.

1/3 cup hempseed (I used flax seed as I didn't have hempseed)

3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped

2 tsp ground cumin

2 tsp ground coriander

¼ to ½ tsp red pepper flakes

Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper

4 Tb. olive oil

1 large egg (may be omitted / I did not use it)

Yogurt-cilantro Sauce, for serving (optional)

Mix beans, flour or rice, hempseed, cloves, cumin, coriander, pepper flakes, salt and pepper and 1 Tb. of olive oil in food

processor. Pulse for a few minutes but leave some beans whole. If too dry add water until sufficient to make a ball that can be pressed into a patty. In a large bowl whisk egg and add bean mixture. Mix well. Divide into 4 equal patties, roll inot balls, and flatten with the palm of your hand into ¾ inch thick patties.

Heat the remaining 3 tb. of oil in skillet. (I use a cast iron skillet that is non-stick and not weird alloys) Add the burgers; cook over medium-low heat until crisp and browned, turning gently with a thin-edged spatula, 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate to drain. Serve with yogurt-cilantro sauce, if desired.

Yogurt-cilantro sauce: ¾ c. plain yogurt, 2 TB. chopped fresh cilantro leaves, 1 Tb. fresh lemon juice, coarse salt and fresh ground pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment