Friday, September 18, 2009

The Secret of Salad


Salads are so good when made properly. This does NOT mean iceberg lettuce with fat-free dressing drizzled over it -- yuck!

A good salad takes work, but can be a complete, satisfying meal. Here are some of my secrets to making salad delicious and filling.

  1. ALWAYS TOSS THE SALAD IN DRESSING -- If you go to a restaurant, you will have your salad coated evenly in dressing, making each bite delicious. Dieters often try to lower dressing, but you'll end up hungry and unsatisfied. Use a delicous full fat dressing. Just use a little bit (the serving size) and toss the salad until every leaf is coated.
  2. ARUGULA -- This little tasty green adds a real punch to salad, and is my all-time favorite base for salad.
  3. ROASTED VEGGIES -- Take all your leftover veggies and roast them, let them cool and toss them in. The more stuff, the better. Make your salad lively and interesting!
  4. PROTEIN -- Always add a protein to a salad. Whether nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts), seeds (soy beans, sunflower seeds, flax) or meat (I often use shrimp), a salad will never satisfy as a full meal without protein.
My salad today is so incredibly delicious. I took all my aging CSA veggies (corn, red peppers, onions, yellow string beans), cut, washed, and roasted them. The last five minutes, I threw some chopped garlic on them to roast. Then, I combined green lettuce and organic arugula. Finally, I added steamed shrimp, and toasted in a Caesar Dressing. No, it wasn't fat-free, but it shouldn't be! It's my lunch, and it not only will tide me over until dinner, but it tastes AMAZING....

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment